Sunday, February 6, 2011

Mauboy delights Indigenous youngsters


 
Festival star: Jessica Mauboy gets up close and personal with fans in Canberra. (ABC News: Eleni Psaltis)


About 40 young Indigenous Canberrans are smiling after meeting their idol at the Gugan Gulwan Youth Centre in Wanniassa.


Singer-songwriter Jessica Mauboy is the face of this year's National Multicultural Festival, which kicks off on February 11.


The former Australian Idol star made an early visit to the city on Thursday to get up close and personal with her young fans.


"I like Jessica because she sings and because I like to dance to her songs," said four-year-old Tea, who had a photograph for Mauboy to sign.


Mauboy says she enjoys working with children.


"When I'm working with young kids, I like to relate to them through my music. I used to do a lot of community work in Darwin and especially multicultural work and for the youth," she said.


Now pursuing a career in the United States, the 21-year-old is glad to be back in her home country, reconnecting with her heritage.


"I grew up with the Indonesian and Aboriginal music so they collaborate a lot in my music and I'm looking forward to hearing local artists at the festival," she said.


"I love Canberra. I've been here many times. It has just this natural smell and feeling and I find it really spiritual like my hometown Darwin."


Mauboy joins several other Indigenous celebrities for the three-day festival including chef Mark Olive and fellow singer-songwriter Troy Cassar-Daley.


"Canberra is a strong community and has strong Indigenous connections to the land. We recognise that and we work with the traditional owners and the Aboriginal people across the broader community," said ACT Multicultural Affairs Minister Joy Burch.


"For Jessica to recognise that I think is a good connection for our local community."


Mauboy also paid a visit to the Bimberi Youth Justice Centre in Mitchell which accommodates 40 young people aged from 10 to 18. Fourteen of them are Indigenous.


"These are disadvantaged kids who don't get much exposure to role models. I just hope to give them a little inspiration," Mauboy said.


"Growing up I never thought I would be a role model myself but I love what I'm doing."


Mauboy will be performing at the festival's opening night on February 11 at Garema Place in the city centre.


via ABC




Creative Commons License 
Indonesian Heartthrob Blog by Furansizuka Cs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment